Welcome to our blog!
Our blog is going to be a great resource to share knowledge about dentistry with all of our patients. This week we’re talking about one of the most asked questions by our patients who are interested in orthodontics. Many of our adult patients comment that they’re too old for braces or that they don’t want traditional braces. However, we love to explain to them that we offer Invisalign braces which eliminates the need for metal brackets and wires.
So what’s the big difference?
Invisalign has a lot of great features that traditional braces can’t offer:
- Invisalign moves teeth into proper alignment using clear aligners that custom fit each patient.
- Patients won’t worry about anyone noticing their braces since the aligners are clear.
- Brushing and flossing is easier for patients because they can remove the aligners.
- Eating is more enjoyable since the patients can remove the aligners.
- Since there are no metal components, Invisalign patients experience less oral tissue irritation.
Why should I consider orthodontic treatment?
Invisalign isn’t just for teens, it’s for patients of all ages who are interested in a beautiful and confident smile. Let’s talk about some of the advantages of having properly aligned teeth:
- Crowding of the teeth:
- Teeth crowding causes certain areas of your teeth to be more susceptible to periodontal disease and cavities. Patients (and our super hygienists, Kim and Lindsay) can’t properly keep these areas clean and free of excessive plaque build-up. This excessive plaque build-up contributes to advanced gum disease and higher rates of dental decay. By re-aligning teeth into an ideal orientation, it is easier keeping teeth and gums clean. This results in decreasing the risk of other dental problems.
- Spacing between teeth:
- Spaces between teeth causes food to get stuck between teeth and cause sensitive and tender gums. This creates an environment where periodontal disease could occur. Invisalign prevents food impaction by closing the gaps and helps decrease the risk of periodontal disease. Not to mention create a beautiful smile!
- Wearing of the teeth:
- Teeth don’t “age” so to speak, but they do wear over time. Poor alignment of teeth accelerate the wear process by placing unnatural forces on teeth. These traumatic forces cause chipping and notching at the gum line called abfractions. Premature wear from traumatic forces can cause poor root support and loose teeth if left unaddressed. Moving teeth into a more ideal alignment allows us to create a bite that sends forces down the long axis of the tooth, eliminating traumatic wear.
- Orthodontic relapse:
- We meet many patients who had braces at some point in life and for various reasons their teeth have moved back into unfavorable alignment. Invisalign is a good solution for these patients who wish to move their teeth back into proper alignment.
How long does Invisalign treatment last?
Length of treatment varies, but the most common length of time among our patients is about 1.5-2 years. Invisalign requires slow, gradual movements of teeth into their appropriate alignment. It is a process that takes time, but the results are totally worth the time investment. Patients get retainers following treatment to avoid orthodontic relapse. Each case will be different because everyone is unique and has different needs. Call to schedule an appointment so we can best serve your needs.
Thank you for taking the time to read our blog!
Have a great week and stay tuned for the next blog! Comment below if you have any topics you’d like for us to discuss in upcoming blogs.